12.31.2010

End of 2010 Survey

Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner came up with this survey for the end of the year and I thought it would be the perfect way to ease back into blogging after a couple weeks off.

1. Best book of 2010 - East of Eden and The Hunger Games series tie for my favorite books for the year for different reasons. East of Eden was one of the most thought provoking books I read all year. The Hunger Games was the most exciting and anticipated.

2. Worst book of 2010 - The Yiddish Policeman's Union was the worst for me. It did not hold my attention and I started and stopped reading it multiple times this year.

3. Most disappointing book of 2010 - Both Blue Highways and Travels With Charley were big letdowns. Funnily enough, they are both travelogues. I read the first on my roadtrip across the country where I thought I would be completely into it. Unfortunately, I found it to be very boring and it took me the longest to read of any book all year. Travels With Charley was a book I'd gotten so excited about after hearing so many good things from other people. It ended up falling pretty flat after all that hype.

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010 - The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay was a huge surprise for me. For a very thick book about comic book creators, I really enjoyed it.

5. Book you recommended most to people in 2010 - My most recommended this year was The Millenium trilogy. I read the first two of the series last year and finally was able to finish it out back in the spring. Since then I've been telling everyone to get their hands on it right away!

6. Best series you discovered in 2010 - The Wake series by Lisa McCann and The Hunger Games. Both were exciting and action packed that had me on the edge of my seat in anticipation for the next book in the series.

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010 - Jay Asher, Kody Keplinger, Lisa McCann, Rob Sheffield

8. Most hilarious read of 2010 - Going Bovine had me laughing a ton, even though it had it's super sad moments. I also read the first 3 Stephanie Plum books this year and they all had my laughing out loud.

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2010 - The Hunger Games series and Hate List were all books I absolutely flew through. I think I read Hate List in just a day which hasn't happened probably since the final Harry Potter books was released.

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010 - Great House by Nicole Krauss was my most anticipated. Right around the time it came out I got really backed up on books from the library and I STILL haven't read it. I actually just picked up my copy from the library yesterday and plan to have it be my first read of 2011.

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010 - I read a lot of e-books this year, so I didn't always pay attention to cover designs. The ones that stand out to me the most are Dreamland by Sarah Dessen Going Bovine by Libba Bray. The Dreamland cover had me thinking the book was about something completely different and the cover for Going Bovine is pretty silly but sums up the book very well.


12. Most memorable character in 2010 - Katniss from the Hunger Games stands out the most in my memory.

13. Most beautifully written book of 2010 - East of Eden had some fantastic language and was almost poetic. Some of my favorite quotes this year came from this book.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010 - I think I'd have to say My Sister's Keeper had the greatest impact on me. I felt incredibly heavy after finishing it and cried for a really long time throughout.

15. Book you can't believe you waited until 2010 to read - East of Eden!

1 comment:

  1. East of Eden was one of my favorite books from this year, too. I still can't believe I waited this long to read it!

    ReplyDelete