3.01.2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Books I had to buy but are still on my bookshelf



It's been awhile since I've participated in Top Ten Tuesday and I have to say I miss it! I know I'm pretty late today but work sucks up most of my time these days. Better late than never, I guess. This week we are talking about the top ten books we just had to buy but are still sitting, lonely and unread on our bookshelf. I have way too many of those!

1. The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath - I had this on my wishlist for awhile and finally bought it. I was super excited to get started on it and I still am, yet it remains on my shelf untouched.

2. Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King - I've only owned a copy of this for a few months but after all of the wonderful things I heard about it, I had to order it immediately.

3. Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky - I think this book has been on my shelf for at least two years. For some reason I keep skipping over it. I enjoy anything set during World War II so I'm not even sure why I'm putting off reading this.

4. The Devil In The White City by Erik Larson - another book that's been on my bookshelf for years. This was a recommendation by my boyfriend's dad. I remember being pretty excited to read this when I first got it and then it was kind of forgotten.

5. Then We Came To The End by Joshua Ferris - This book is probably the one I have been most excited about reading. It was on my wishlist for a long time and then I finally got a copy from my secret santa (2 Christmas' ago now, I think). I have no idea why I haven't read it. I think I'm going to move this up to the top of my pile because I really do want to read this soon.

6. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith - I wanted to read this one pretty bad after reading the synopsis on the back. It's another book that has been sitting on my shelf for years.

7. Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender - There was some buzz about this book when it first was released and I went out to buy it mostly because I liked the cover. Since then it's become another book that gets moved to the bottom of the pile.

8. The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay - I bought this book on a whim because it was on sale at Borders. Mostly it was a book that I had to have because it was such a deal, but it also sounded interesting.

9. Brick Lane by Monica Ali - I can't remember where I heard about this book or why I bought it but I made the effort to get myself a copy so I know I was excited about it at some point. I recently saw a friend reading it and remembered that I had my own copy but I guess I forgot about it again.

10. Diary by Chuck Palahniuk - this is one of the few Chuck Palahniuk books that I haven't read. I like his work and was looking forward to reading this after a recommendation from my old roommate. But then I lost interest in Palahniuk for awhile and this was abandoned on my shelf.

4 comments:

  1. Let me know what you think of The Devil In The White City when you get to it. I really only enjoyed about half of the book...I thought the other half was boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few of these on my shelves, but haven't read any of them. I might try Diary soon.

    Check out my post here: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday-tbr.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    I can relate. There are many books that I really, really wanted that I didn't actually read after I got them. =P And there were also others that I bought at bargain prices because they looked interesting--but that I probably wouldn't have looked at twice if they hadn't been marked down! I have both sorts on my own list. Good luck getting through yours! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely list!

    I read Capture The Castle years ago and I enjoyed it!

    I have also read In The Kitchen by Monica Ali, but I can't say I really liked it. I have mixed feelings about it. Maybe Brick Lane is better!

    ReplyDelete