I haven't participated in Top Ten Tuesday in a few weeks because I've just been so busy with job hunting. When I saw that this week's topic was about the characters in fiction that we'd like to be best friends with, I knew I had to participate! Thank you to The Broke and the Bookish for hosting this meme.
My list is mostly characters from books I read as a kid. Most of the books that I read now, I get annoyed with the adult characters for some reason.
1. Hermione Granger (Harry Potter) - I always related to Hermione for being a bookworm and being a little uptight in certain situations. I felt like we could have been very good friends growing up. Plus she is a kickass girl who could get us out of just about any situation with her magic and her smarts.
2. Liesel (The Book Thief) - I loved Liesel because of her kindness and the way she cared for everyone, especially Max and Rudy. I think she and I would have gotten along so well.
3. Kristy Thomas (Babysitter's Club) - Even though Kristy was known for being a bossy big mouth, I always wanted to be best friends with her growing up. I was a big tomboy and thought Kristy and I had so much in common.
4. Pippi Longstocking - What an awesome, eccentric character in fiction! I wanted a friend like Pippi so badly as a kid.
5. Francie Nolan (A Tree Grows In Brooklyn) - Francie was a bookloving young lady who was curious about the world. When I read this a few years back, I immediately wished to have a friend like Francie, mostly because she reminded me so much of myself. Who doesn't want a best friend that's just like them?
6. Oskar (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close) - Oskar was such a smart character for a kid his age and the things he did were sometimes so heartbreaking. To have a best friend who was so innocent and kind hearted would have been great.
7. Leslie Burke (Bridge to Terabithia) - Leslie was the kid with the over active imagination. Everyone needs a friend like that to have fun with.
8. Anne Frank - not a fictional character, but after I read her diary in 8th grade I related to her so much. If I had known her, I definitely would have been friends with her.
9. Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House books) - I spent some of the best winter nights as a kid curled up reading about Laura and her family. She definitely would have been someone who I'd be friends with as a kid.
10. Stephanie Plum - The only adult character on my list, I love Stephanie's character in the Plum books. She's a little bit clumsy and bumbles her way through her job as a bounty hunter. I think that she and I would be good friends.
Scout Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)
Gemma Doyle (Gemma Doyle Trilogy)
Kirsten (American Girl series)