10.05.2010

Top Ten Tuesday - Favorite Authors



Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started by The Broke and The Bookish. This week, we share our top ten favorite authors.

1. J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter is really what got me back into reading in college. After being a voracious reader through elementary and middle school, I didn't read for pleasure in high school too much. In college, I decided to start the HP series when I was bored and got hooked. I'm very grateful to Ms. Rowling for that!
2. Markus Zusak - Both The Book Thief and I Am The Messenger were fantastic books and I can't wait to read more from Zusak.
3. Nicole Krauss - The History of Love really made an impact on me and I've heard so many great things about Great House.
4. J.D. Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye was pretty much the first book I ever classified as my favorite. It was also the first required reading I'd ever really fallen in love with. I know many people dislike Salinger and don't understand this novel but I just love it. Franny and Zooey is the only other I've read so far and I enjoyed it as well.
5. Jonathan Safran Foer - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is one of those fantastic books that stayed with me long after I finished. I have to say, I read Everything Is Illuminated a year or two before EL&IC and I didn't like it much but I think I'm going to give it another go. I also plan to read Eating Animals in the next couple weeks.
6. Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club books were my childhood. I can't make a list like this without including Ann Martin.
7. John Steinbeck - Ok, so I've only read East of Eden, but the writing in it is so good, I'm fairly sure I'll love more of Steinbeck's collection. I'm hoping to get my hands on some of his other works soon to see if he really should be on this list.
8. Augusten Burroughs - He's from the same area I grew up in and he's hilarious. I love reading about his dysfunctional life and recognizing the places he talks about in his books.
9. Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my all time favorite books so I have to add her to the list. While I didn't love Her Fearful Symmetry, I still thought it was an interesting book (you just have to go in knowing it's going to be totally different from TTW).
10. Sylvia Plath - her life was so tragic but she wrote so beautifully. I've read The Bell Jar a couple times now and I think it's one of those books that gets better each time. I've read some of her poetry and I have her journals on my bookshelf waiting to be read as well.

5 comments:

  1. I love Sylvia Plath as well. Her journals are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many good things about Safran Foer, I really need to pick up some of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red- I highly, highly recommend Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. J.K. Rowling - I adore Harry Potter books. I really should have put Rowling on my list, too.
    2. Markus Zusak - Both The Book Thief and I Am The Messenger were fantastic books. I agree with you. He is on my list, too.
    3. Nicole Krauss - The History of Love. I adored this book.
    4. J.D. Salinger - I didn't care for Catcher but I understand the appeal.
    5. Jonathan Safran Foer - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is one of my favorite, quirky books but I couldn't finish Everything Illuminated.
    6. Ann M. Martin - Haven't read anything by her.
    7. John Steinbeck - I somehow escaped reading everything by Steinbeck except Of Mice and Men, must read more by him.
    8. Augusten Burroughs - No opinion
    9. Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife was really a special book. I like the movie, too.
    10. Sylvia Plath - I've only read books about her not by her. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wahoo! Totally Ann M. Martin! She's the reason that I'm a reader. I even wrote like her until I was about 13 (which really wasn't a good thing).
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete